Canadian Power and Sail Squadron History
The organization had its start in 1938, when three members of the Windsor Yacht Club crossed the Ambassador Bridge into Detroit, Michigan. Fred Dane, George Ruel, and G. William Bowman.
Under the direction of the Detroit Power Squadron, they passed the USPS Junior Piloting course.
Soon they formed Canada's first squadron: Windsor Power Squadron.
G. William Bowman was first Commander. He was the first Chief Commander of Canadian Power Squadrons, which became the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons/Les Escadrilles de plaisance, or CPS-ECP.
In 2013, as we began our Anniversary Year, CPS has 26,000 members in 155 Squadrons across Canada.
Stratford Power and Sail Squadron History
The Stratford Squadron was formed in 1976 and receiving its Warrant on April 16, 1977 at the Boating Graduation Ceremony with Ken Weido as our founding Commander.
District Commander N.H.E. Speller made the presentation of the Squadron Warrant.
The Executive for that year 1976-1977 was Commander, Ken Weido, Executive Officer, Don Jones, Secretary Jill Skinner, Treasurer Don Rome and Supply and Regalia Officer, Lorrie Woodcock.
Now in our 40th year committed volunteer Bridge Officers and Course Instructors continue to teach safe boating through education.
We have 100 members and are very proud to continue offering Pleasure Craft Operator Card courses, Boating Essentials courses, Seamanship and VHF Marine Radio courses.