Loading

 

Welcome to the Sarnia Power & Sail Squadron

Where our boats carve through blue waters and
our boaters have a "hull" of a great time!

Like us on
install tracking code
Hits Tracking
Home > History


Who Are We?

Sarnia Power and Sail Squadron is part of Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons (CPS).  Nationally the organization has over 40,000 members with approximately 300 belonging to Sarnia Squadron.

CPS emphasizes boating safety, powerboat and sailboat navigation as well as offering accredited boating courses. Since 1938, the volunteer trainers of Canada's largest association of boating enthusiasts have offered safe boating courses across Canada. Successful completion of the qualifying examinations for Boat Pro and the Boating Course lead to particular membership categories. Each category ensures special membership benefits.

We are a charitable organization that provides diverse and challenging programs in boater education.  It is our goal to provide our members with greater safety and enjoyment in their boating activities.  Our members also enjoy the satisfaction of personal accomplishment, and the opportunity to share knowledge and skills acquired.

The general boating public is welcome to take "The Boating Course" to gain membership to CPS.  You may also take other elective courses prior to becoming full CPS members.

CPS also offer the "Boat Pro Course" which prepares the student for their Pleasure Craft Operator Card and "Maritime Radio" which prepares you for your VHF Radio Restricted  Operator's Certificate (Maritime).

Our Squadron Bridge Officers meets monthly at the Sarnia Yacht Club every second Monday of the month.  All members are invited to attend.

Our History

In 1913 the Boston Yacht Club assembled together 70 clubs to form one organization to set standards for boating.  A group of new boats were making there presence seen, the power boat.  They ratified in early 1914 and were officially called "United States Power Squadrons."

Canadian Power Squadrons began in 1938 when three members of the Windsor Yacht Club, having heard about USPS, crossed the Ambassador Bridge into Detroit. They were Fred Dane, George Rule and G. William Bowman.  Later along with other members they formed the first Canadian Squadron in Windsor.

In 1948, members of the Sarnia Yacht Club formed the second Squadron in Canada with John Blunt as the first Squadron Commander.  London followed shortly after.  On October 14, 1941 the three groups met in Chatham and formed the Canadian Power Squadron.

CPS has grown with it's present headquarters in Toronto and the name has been changed to include all forms of boats as Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons.

Our Pennant

The Sarnia Power and Sail Squadron pennant features the Red Cross of St. George on a white background with, in the quadrant royal, a white bordered red maple leaf superimposed on five blue and four white alternate vertical stripes of equal width.

The Cross of St. George is from the flag of Guernsey, in the English Channel. Sir John Colborne, Lt. Governor of Upper Canada 1828-36 named the Port of Sarnia in 1836 after the Roman name or Guernsey where he had previously been Lt. Governor. The flag of the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons is proudly displayed in the quadrant royal to signify that the Sarnia Squadron was one of the three founding squadrons of the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons.

In 2002, a gold bar was added to the pennant at the hoist to recognize the fifty plus years Sarnia Power & Sail Squadron has functioned as part of Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons.